Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dan & Lisa: An Engagement (Grand Rapids Wedding Photographer)

September 21, 2011




We could not have asked for a better evening. I was stuck inside all day and I heard it was a little dreary out, but by the time I left my regular job, the temperature and the sky was just perfect. I was excited to see Dan and Lisa again, who just chose me as their wedding photographer for next year. We did a couple quick shots in the studio before heading outside into the gorgeous evening. I was just so anxious to get outside in such beautiful weather, I could hardly stand it.

Dan and Lisa took me to Riverside Park on the north end of Grand Rapids. I've been by it tons of times but never actually stopped to check it out. It is perfect! There was a big pond complete with ducks and geese, tons of willow trees, a couple huge grassy areas to hang around in, and lots of property along the Grand River (thus the name). Not to mention the timing of the day - just before sunset - was just short of perfection. It's a tricky light to shoot in at times, and you get some interesting colors for lighting, but even then, it's totally worth it.

Although we missed the sun sneaking behind some clouds on the horizon, we did manage to make our last stop at Dan's workplace, where he and Lisa stood out on the 5th floor balcony for me to take a few silhouettes and use Grand Rapids as a backdrop. After fighting with willow tree branches, climbing all over them only to get our hands messy with sap (or whatever it was...), and rushing off to catch the fading light on the horizon, I think we came up with a pretty good session.

Dan and Lisa will be tying the knot next July, and I'll be there, so keep an eye out for them to show up again. Congrats to the two of you, and thanks again for a great time!

^Such a cute couple!



^The willow trees and the aged effect really went well together. What a great spot to shoot!



^They climbed out on this precarious branch, I climbed out on a dangerous root in the water, anything for a good shot!

^Loving the selective focus.




^Lisa, you are beautiful! You'll make a fabulous bride!


^Look out for the ducks...




^In love with Riverside Park! It's huge and has so much character.


^After the crew team passed... :-)






^Here's our sunset!

^Silhoette on the rooftop. Love this one.


My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.